What are aluminium facades?
Aluminium facades, also referred to as aluminium curtain walls, are exterior building systems that use aluminium frames to support glass, metal, or other cladding solutions. These facades are primarily used in commercial and high-rise buildings, as well as modern residential structures, to enhance both the aesthetics and functionality of the building.
What are aluminium facades used for?
Aluminium facades are an essential component of modern architectural design, offering a combination of structural integrity, energy efficiency, aesthetic charm, and durability. Their adaptability makes them a popular choice for a wide range of building types, from multistory offices to homes, particularly valuable in the UK where innovative construction practices are highly valued.
Here are some key characteristics of aluminium facades and how they’re used:
- Structural framework
- Window glazing
- Cladding consisting of aluminium panels, stainless steel and composite materials
- Thermal performance
- Weather resistance and providing effective protection against moisture and air infiltration
- Aesthetics benefits with options for different colours, finishes, and patterns
- Environmental sustainability
- Sound insulation and noise reduction
Benefits of aluminium facades
Aluminium facades offer a multitude of benefits, especially in construction and architecture. These benefits include:
- Design versatility: Aluminum facades provide architects and designers with the freedom to form striking and innovative building exteriors. The material can be customised in terms of colour, finish, and shape.
- Energy efficiency: Modern aluminium facade systems are designed with thermal breaks and insulation, which improve the building’s energy efficiency. They help maintain comfortable indoor temperatures, reducing the reliance on heating and cooling systems. Find out more about the thermal break debate here.
- Natural light and views: Aluminum facades often incorporate large areas of glass, allowing abundant natural light to enter the interior spaces. This not only reduces the need for artificial lighting during the day but also provides occupants with expansive views of the surroundings.
- Weather resistance: Aluminum facades are built to withstand harsh weather conditions, offering protection against rain, wind, and temperature fluctuations.
- Low maintenance: Aluminum is inherently corrosion-resistant, which means that aluminium facades require minimal maintenance. Paired with aluminium windows, this makes a robust building solution.
- Durability: Aluminium facades can have a long lifespan, ensuring the building’s exterior remains attractive and functional for many years to come.
- Environmental sustainability: Aluminum is recyclable, and many aluminium facade systems also incorporate recycled materials. This makes them an environmentally friendly choice and contributes to sustainable building methods.
- Property value: The aesthetic appeal and functional benefits of aluminium facades can enhance the overall value of a property and attract more tenants or buyers. Find out more about improving the value of a property here.
- Fire Resistance: Finished with fire resistance, aluminium facades can be engineered to meet stringent fire safety standards, contributing to health and safety regulations.
Aluminium windows and bending experts
ABS offer fabrication and manufacturing for aluminium windows and aluminium doors across the UK. Used throughout commercial spaces and business properties, our aluminium frames offer security, sustainability and a modern addition to architecture.
Whether you have windows that need replacing or are building a new office space from scratch, get in touch with our team on 01623 392370 and we’ll find the right solution for you!